Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Funding the Cure

At times, it feels like we started fundraising on August 18, 2008 and never stopped. At first we were the ones who needed help. I was only one year out of school and Matt was staying home with the kids. Cancer meant one parent in the hospital with the 3 year old and the other trying to keep up with a 15 month old. Between lost income, medical bills, and the added expenses of living away from home for all that time, we struggled. But so many pitched in and helped.

At first all I could think about was how would we pay back those who had done so much for us.

When our lives returned to normal, it became clear that the only way to pay it back was to pay it forward.



Some days I feel very, very guilty as I ask people to dig deep and give again.

Other days I feel I'm not doing enough. Those are the days when I remember how it felt. Hearing my daughter might die. Struggling to pay for expensive prescriptions. Watching her, so sick from treatment, struggling even to breath. But still smiling.

I will do everything I can so that no other three year old has to add the words "hospital" and "transfusion" to her vocabulary.

So I am back at it. My fundraising minimum for "The Goofy" is $3600, but my goal is $10,000. It's going to take a lot of work. There will be yard sales, and wine tastings, lemonade stands, and requests for corporate donations.

But, together, we will End Cancer. I believe in that goal. And I believe Someday is Today. There is no more waiting patiently for a cure. We must make it happen. Now.

And even if I hate asking, again, for a donation, I know it is the right thing to do. If you're able to help, please do. If you can't, please share this page.

Any donation, small or large, adds up.

Someday is Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment