Monday, June 10, 2013

A Case of the Mondays

Remember the movie Office Space? When the woman walks by and says, "Looks like somebody's got a case of 'The Mondays'!"?


Well I couldn't get her voice out of my head this weekend. Even though it wasn't Monday I definitely have a case of the Blahs.

I almost always take Fridays as a rest day because they tend to be long work days without lunch. But I always, ALWAYS, exercise on Saturdays. Not this weekend, though. Despite a shiny new training schedule packed with run-bike-swim, I just couldn't get off the couch.

I thought "Maybe I should give myself the weekend off. I can start from scratch on Tuesday. Maybe I need a break. Maybe I deserve a break." But that kind of logic is accompanied by anxiety. "What if 3 days off leads to 3 weeks. Then 3 months. Then I'm back in the same sedentary rut that I lived in before weight loss and marathon training!"

Other factors played into my lack of desire to exercise, as well as my anxiety over not exercising. The house was a disaster. Money's tight. I always feel like I don't get enough time with the kids.

Time. It's always at a premium. There's work. And the kids are out of school. And I am starting a new (exciting) volunteer position at LLS. Oh, and there's swim team and the neighborhood ladies group. Did I mention fundraising? I'm booked with meeting most nights of the week and my three days off are filled with appointments. It's simply too much.

And I know you have felt exactly the same. "There just isn't time to exercise! I'm too tired. Too stressed. Too..."



But Sunday was a new day. I woke up with the option we get everyday: to train or not to train.

I really wanted an entire day just with the family. But on days that I exercise, I'm a better mom, a happier wife, a better person.

So I got on my bike. I rode 14.5 miles. It was sunny, and warm, and beautiful. And I didn't regret it for a minute.

They say the hardest step for a runner is always the first step out the door. Have you ever regretted taking that step? I haven't!

No comments:

Post a Comment